1. The Basics Lookin’ Over My Shoulder
2. Janelle Monáe Dance Apocalyptic
3. The Mountain Goats Lovecraft In Brooklyn
4. The Dissociatives Horror With Eyeballs
5. Florence + The Machine Howl
6. Something For Kate The Fireball At The End Of Everything
7. Sufjan Stevens They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhh!
8. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Red Right Hand
Celebrating my (somewhat tragic) love of Halloween with – what else? – a hastily curated, deeply predictable playlist. A little more sci-fi [‘Lovecraft In Brooklyn’] and apocalyptic [‘The Fireball At The End Of Everything,’ ‘Dance Apocalyptic’] than strict horror, but – given the state of my iPod – that seems almost inevitable.
My initial temptation was to fill the list with Australian-only artists; an aural middle-finger to those who dismiss Halloween as an American cultural incursion onto Good Ol’ Aussie Culture™. (See this comic by Ben Hutchings for a much more eloquent reading of the American / Australian Halloween debate). But to compile a Halloween-flavoured playlist without Janelle Monáe’s zombie-pop brilliance seemed folly, at best. And frankly, I’ll take any excuse to include a exclamation point-laden Sufjan Stevens song title.
Happy Halloween, darling creatures of the night.